Stay safe online
The Xero Website had a good article about being safe online to protect yourself, your customers and employees.
The three things we can all do are:
- Have a good password strategy
- Be aware of phishing emails
- Keep anti-malware up-to-date
- Keep your operating system and application software patched and up-to-date
A good password strategy means:
- Not sharing a password (even with friends)
- Always using complex passwords
- Changing passwords at least once a month
- Use different passwords for different applications
- A complex password is a long password made up of numbers, letters and special characters ($,#,%,&, etc). The longer your password the better because it is harder to guess.
A phishing email looks like it comes from a trusted source and tries to trick you into providing passwords and other important data. Look out for:
- Incorrect spelling or grammar
- Different URLs
- Requests for personal information
- The email calls for urgent action.
- The email says sounds too good to be true
- The email doesn’t use your name
We hope this helps you stay safe online.